Last week, more than 30 national nonprofits came together for the #Relief4Charities Week of Action. Through a coordinated effort, these organizations and countless advocates and volunteers came together to call on Congress to support policy proposals in the next round of COVID-19 relief legislation.
Independent Sector joined this coalition of organizations, collectively engaging more than 500 people through a series of congressional briefings on four of the major issues facing the sector:
- Continuing emergency funding programs that provide nonprofits with financial support enabling them to continue and expand services protecting vulnerable families and front-line responders.
- Providing low-cost loans and loan forgiveness to mid-size and larger nonprofits that have not been able to access government funding.
- Strengthening charitable giving incentives to encourage all Americans to help their communities during these challenging times through charitable donations.
- Providing full unemployment benefit reimbursement to nonprofits that self-insure these benefits.
We will continue this advocacy in the coming weeks while also calling on Congress to fund:
- Healthy and safe elections during the COVID-19 pandemic,
- Increased access to internet services necessary to bridge a digital divide in our communities, and
- A fair and complete count in the 2020 Census.
We want to thank the thousands of advocates who have already taken action on these issues and ask you to keep the pressure on policymakers in the coming weeks.
Please take action on all of these issues in the Independent Sector Action Center.