Cardinali and 33 executives from Independent Sector members are part of The NonProfit Times Power and Influence Top 50
(WASHINGTON, August 2, 2016) – Dan Cardinali, president and CEO of Independent Sector, has been named one of the top 50 nonprofit executive by The NonProfit Times.
The NonProfit Times Power & Influence Top 50 are selected from a group of about 300 nonprofit executives. They were chosen for their ability to master the balance between sustainability and change, and will be honored at a gala next month in Washington, DC. In addition to Cardinali, there are 33 other executives from Independent Sector member organizations.
This is the first year that Cardinali has been featured on this list. The NonProfit Times notes: “While running Communities in Schools, Cardinali made a roughly $50 million bet on organizational infrastructure to emphasize quality over scale and scaled back. It resulted in serving more students. Scaling has been a direction for IS. It’s going to be an interesting ride with him there now and IS stakeholders should buckle up.”
As a thought leader in the field of public education, Cardinali was credited with fostering the growing national trend toward community involvement in schools through partnerships with parents, businesses, policymakers, and local nonprofit groups. As the president and CEO of IS, he believes strongly in the power of nonprofits, foundations, and other organizations to work collaboratively to improve life and the environment for individuals and communities around the world. Cardinali is known for his commitment to performance management to drive evidence-based programs and high impact organizations.
Independent Sector also congratulates the following executives of IS member organizations for their exemplary leadership and being named as part of this list:
- Diana Aviv, Chief Executive Officer of Feeding America
- Scott Beale, CEO of Atlas Corps
- Jeffrey L. Bradach, Managing Partner & Co-founder of The Bridgespan Group
- Michael Brown, Co-Founder & CEO of City Year, Inc.
- Nancy Brown, President & CEO of American Heart Association
- Phil Buchanan, President of The Center for Effective Philanthropy
- Kathy Calvin, President & CEO of United Nations Foundation
- Emmett Carson, President & CEO of Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- Elizabeth Darling, President & CEO of OneStar Foundation
- Christine Essel, President & CEO of Southern California Grantmakers
- James Firman, President & CEO of The National Council on Aging
- Brian Gallagher, President & CEO of United Way Worldwide
- Bill Gates, Co-Founder, and Susan Desmond-Hellmann, CEO of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Jacob Harold, CEO of GuideStar
- Stephen Heintz, President of Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- Eileen R. Heisman, President & CEO of National Philanthropic Trust
- Dara Richardson-Heron, M.D., Chief Executive Officer of YWCA of the USA
- Paula Kerger, President & CEO of PBS Foundation
- Sr. Donna Markham, President & CEO of Catholic Charities USA
- Tim McClimon, President of American Express Foundation
- Clara Miller, President & Director of F.B. Heron Foundation
- Risa Lavizzo-Mourey, M.D., President & CEO of The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Janet Murguía, President & CEO of National Council of La Raza
- Sally Osberg, President & CEO of Skoll Foundation
- Douglas Rutzen, President & CEO of International Center for Not-for-Profit Law
- Kelvin Taketa, President & CEO of Hawaii Community Foundation
- Henry Timms, Executive Director of 92nd Street Y
- Darren Walker, President & CEO of Ford Foundation
- Anne Wallestad, President & CEO of BoardSource
- Amy Sample Ward, CEO of Nonprofit Technology Network
- Kevin Washington, President & CEO of YMCA of the USA
- Sam Worthington, CEO of InterAction
Independent Sector is the leadership forum for nonprofits, foundations, and corporations whose member networks collectively represent tens of thousands of organizations locally, nationally, and globally. Learn more at www.independentsector.org.